This easy banana muffin recipe is a family favorite. Our toddlers cannot get enough of them and they’re such a convenient snack. Some days the kids gobble them up faster than I can bake them!
Best of all, the buttermilk keeps these muffins perfectly moist. There’s nothing I hate more than squeezing in a few minutes to bake only to have the muffins come out dry.
As long as you have 2-3 over-ripe bananas on hand, you can probably make this banana muffin recipe. All of the other ingredients are kitchen staples. Banana bread used to be my go-to recipe for old bananas, but muffins are faster and easier to make. At least while the kids are small, this healthy banana muffin recipe has replaced bread in our baking rotation.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 or 3 very ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan with butter or cooking spray (or use disposable baking cups)
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas
- Add the oil, egg and buttermilk to the bananas and whisk together
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well until evenly combined
- Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it level with the rim of the pan
- Bake the banana muffins for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and springy to the touch. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean when they’re done.
- Transfer muffins to a wire rack and let cool
Easy Banana Muffin Recipe Tips
- Depending on the size and quantity of the bananas you use, you may have enough batter for only 10 muffins. If you’re baking muffins without filling all 12 baking cups in the pan, fill the unused cups 1/3 full with water to prevent the pan from warping.
- These muffins can be served warm or at room temperature. They’re delicious either way!
- Add chopped walnuts or chocolate chips to change it up a bit
- You can swap whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour if you prefer
Looking for more easy muffin recipes?
What’s your favorite recipe for bananas that are past their prime? Have you baked banana muffins before?